Thursday, April 5, 2012

Fernwood High Tea


Personally, if I had to choose between pretty dresses and sparkling diamonds for a day or, bungee jumping off a bridge into water and then dirt bike riding around sand dunes... I'd pick the later. But there is just something with me and 'high tea' that I just can’t pass on - Its super girly, incredibly dainty and somewhat sophisticate, all of which, I am not.

One Saturday, we strolled along to Fernwood High Tea at The Junction, Newcastle NSW. When I say it’s hidden... it is, nuzzled in a main street in suburbia, you may just well drive past it if you're not careful. The two story cottage oozes character and offers guests a 'shabby chic' decor welcoming. Everything is trimmed and draped with lace and vintage materials. Teacup sets poke out from gardens, pot plants and side tables. Attention to detail is the key to any high tea and Fernwood High Tea is very hard to fault.

The layout of the high tea is brilliant. There were four of us there, and we had our own private room, beautifully dressed and full of character. There were two other groups of people there also, each with their own private dining section - One outside in the romantic garden, the other inside in a separate room next to ours.

For me, what separated this high tea experience from others was the food and the order in which is came out. There were more savoury than sweet, which is perfect as we were there around lunch time (and I tend to be sugar free, so I prefer savoury) Each time a course came out I couldn't help but let out a little giggle - everything came in little tea cups or vintage glasses, brilliant!

The courses were managed really well - Allowing enough time to eat and chat. The service was prompt and friendly and the atmosphere was welcoming and relaxing.

Fernwood High Tea also have a Bed and breakfast attached, I look forward to staying there one day.

They were able to cater to my veggie-head Gluten free diet; everything was amazingly tasty and surprisingly filling.

What does it cost? At $38 a head it’s pretty good, I think it is spot on the money! The attention to detail, the quality of the food and the amount was all perfect.

How do you get there? The Junction is located in Newcastle, we drove - It’s about 2.5 hrs north of Sydney. You could catch the train to Newcastle and then bus into the junction, but I recommend a taxi or driving.

Thank you for having us Maria, at Fernwood High Tea.