Monday, March 19, 2012

A lot of luck at Au Lac

Five hours with four adults crammed into a two door car and no snacks... makes for hungry ladies! Pre-empting this, I booked ahead a few days early for dinner. I did my research and found a vegan restaurant in Canberra, apparently its quiet popular too, which I was glad to hear from the YHA hostel staff, where we stayed.

Au Lac is located in Dickson, which is on the outskirts of the city and is known to be the 'China Town' of Canberra. Let it be known that Dickson is not a short walk from the city centre, I can vouch for this after making my entourage trek for 45min from the YHA. After a 5 hours cramped car ride and empty bellies - they were not happy with this distance :-).

Au Lac is very relaxed with its decor, nothing fancy, but it is presentable and clean. The staff are amazingly friendly and willing to share their 'favourite dish suggestions' with you!

Let me also add that I took 3 non-vegetarian/vegans here, and they loved every bit of it!

What did we have?

Spring Rolls
Roast Soy Duck Wraps
Steamed Wontons
Dau Hu Xao Rau (Braised tofu and vegetables)
Banh Xeo (Vietnamese crepe)
Au Lac Eight Treasures - Bat Buu (Combination Hot Pot)
1 Carmel Flan (Egg free) and soy ice cream
3 Deep fried ice cream

Yum! And yes, everyone thanked me for making them walk there... Although, when we finished however, we were so full we had to catch a taxi cab home!

As we walked through Dickson, we saw so many amazing places to eat, I wish we had more time to try them all. Au Lac was amazing and worth a visit! Bring an empty tummy!