Thursday, March 15, 2012

*Guest Blog* Flying high and dropping fast

What a way to celebrate your 1st wedding anniversary, it was suppose to be a surprise, but, its in my nature to guess these things...

I had all week to contemplate what we were about to do. I went through a ray of different emotions leading up to the jump - nervous, excited and anxiety kicked in at one stage... but when we woke on the day of the jump, I was pumped!

We drove out to the Warnervale airport at 8am to be ready for a 9am jump. We skydived with Skydive the Central Coast. They also have a few different locations throughout Sydney. Our instructors were Mikey and Brian, these guys Love what they do for a living and have been skydiving for ages!

We suited up and they ran through the safety instructions, thank god they were light-hearted through this process and joked with us... it really put us at ease and calmed the nerves. We made our way to the plane (which was only big enough to fit 5 adults).

On the way up the butterflies started, I began to get a dry mouth and the shakes, I didn't feel like talking to anyone and concentrated on what was ahead of me. After a 15min plane ride around and around, I guess the pilot found a good spot for us to jump. My instructor grabbed my hand and said "the only thing you need to worry about is trusting me. Kisani, do you trust me?" With hesitation... I replied yes.

Everything I was taught back on land had completely left my mind, although Mikey was slowly stepping me through everything once again. I put my feet out onto the platform, crossed my arms across my chest... and the rest... is a blur. I just remember screaming and laughing. We were going at such a rapid speed that I was having trouble breathing, so I held my breath, for a few seconds, as advised by Mikey earlier.

Once the parachute opened, I felt like time had stopped. and we were just gliding slowing, but it felt like were were hovering in the one spot and not moving anywhere.

I got to steer the parachute for a few moments before we landed. When Mikey told me to lift my legs high, I knew it was time to land. We landed at an incredible speed, on our backsides. All I could hear behind me was Dean screaming like a girl with a big smile on his face. When I got to my feet the adrenalin was rushing through my body and I felt like I could run a marathon.

What an amazing experience. Ready to go again.

Kisani



These photos were taken by the instructors from Skydive the Central Coast

At that time of writing this blog post - these prices were current...

Tandem Skydive
Individual Prices
Saturday & Sunday
1-3 people $319
Students, Backpackers and Seniors $299*
*To receive the student / backpacker discount, student I.D./passport must be presented.